Description and operation
New vacuum technology
for fighting fires
The FireFlex®-Vactec® vacuum system is a complete, FM-approved fire protection system that offers exceptional features and benefits, such as corrosion prevention and the use of mesh-type pipe networks.
Fully tested and ready to be connected to the water supply and sprinkler pipes network, the system includes control valves, a vacuum pump, a control panel and an FLX-PC vacuum controller.
These vacuum fire protection systems are available in automatic or preaction (non-interlock, simple interlock, or double interlock) configurations.
|* précision : ± 6,4mm (1/4″)|
- Assembled, programmed and tested according to standard ISO-9001
- Deluge valve with vertical outlet, Viking F-1 model
- Autonomous system using the Viking-brand VFR-400 control panel
- Compact, aesthetic and easy to move around
- Neoprene gaskets on all doors to eliminate vibration
- No open drainage funnel inside cabinet
- Access hatch for the manual emergency activation valve
- Serial number assigned to each unit to ensure better traceability
- Standardised operation and servicing manual
Other characteristics and benefits
- Prevents corrosion by removing oxygen and moisture
- Prevents the formation of ice plugs by automatically eliminating residual water
- Enables the design of mesh-type networks to save money
- Enables the use of a roughness factor of C = 120 with black steel pipes
- Very rapid system activation (< 5 s)
- Real-time monitoring of the vacuum atmosphere
- Calculation software available for estimating the fill time
FLX-PC vacuum controller
The FLX-PC vacuum controller controls the vacuum pump and keeps the vacuum pressure in the pipe network between -180 mbar (-2.6 psi) and -150 mbar (-2.2 psi). It displays in real time the pressure level, and the time and frequency of vacuum pump operation, thereby providing useful information for any changes to the pipe network.
In the event of fire, the vacuum controller detects the activation of a sprinkler head, generates an alarm and activates the system in less than 5 seconds.
Vacuum technology inherently prevents corrosion by eliminating the oxygen and moisture in the pipes.
It offers a long-term economic solution for applications in which pipe corrosion, obstructions and ice plugs can affect system performance, and where maintenance problems are a concern.
The inhibiting atmosphere is quickly created, with normal pressure reached in just a few minutes after system activation, thus creating the appropriate atmosphere for inhibiting corrosion. The system pressure is then monitored in real time by the FLX-PC controller, ensuring the requisite vacuum level at all times.
The vacuum is created using a vacuum pump controlled by the FLX-PC.
The vacuum pump can establish the requisite vacuum level in the pipe network in less than 4 minutes, for a 3800 l system, thereby saving time on commissioning and servicing.
The other benefits of the vacuum pump compared to an air compressor are silent running and minimum maintenance.
For easier maintenance, an isolation valve is installed on the riser. This also enables full-flow testing without filling the system pipes. A viewing glass on the main drain enables a visual check of the water flow.
Vacuum system sprinklers
The sprinklers used must be specifically approved for use on vacuum systems. Please contact us for the list of approved sprinklers, or refer to the manufacturer data sheets.
The Viking VFR-400 control panel is cULus-certified, FM-approved and complies with the requirements of standard UL 864-9. The panel includes menu programming for ease of configuration. It is compatible with linear and point thermal fire detectors, smoke detectors, flow indicators, low- and high-pressure pressure switches and manual activation stations.
Options for FireFlex®-Vactec® units
- Semi-flanged or fully-flanged option
When required by the customer, the FireFlex®-Vactec® unit can be fitted with semi-flanged or fully-flanged connections.
- Galvanised option
This option includes the main manifold and the riser of the vacuum unit, in galvanised steel.
The complete documentation of the FIREFLEX® – VACTEC system will soon be available.
For further information, please contact us.
The operation of Vacuum Sprinkler Systems is similar to that of Dry Sprinkler Systems, but with far superior global performance, and also enabling network configurations previously reserved for Wet Sprinkler Systems: large networks, mesh/loop networks, etc.
The diagram opposite illustrates the operation of the Vacuum Sprinkler System in preaction.